Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I Want to be a Cowgirl

Did I mention that I bought the most amazing pair of cowboy boots last month? Well, I did. My friend from Uruguay calls them Texan boots, which I love. And the folks in Texas who sold them to me called them western boots. “Is this your first pair of western boots?” they asked. I think it showed. No matter what you call them, they’re quite sassy, and I intend to enjoy them for a long, long, time.

Much like the cookies I made this weekend. They’re a variation on a recipe for Cowboy Cookies that I have been enjoying for as long as I can remember. But no matter what you call them, they’re my definition of cookie—and quite a good one, I’d say. I’ve added dried cherries, and swapped pecans for the traditional walnuts. They’re salty and sweet, and wonderful.

Unfortunately, since it’s a snow day here in Seattle and I am the only one around, I am eating more than my fair share. I can attest first hand that they’re nice with coffee at breakfast, as well as after lunch with tea. Time to pack some up and distribute them around the neighborhood before they become dinner and midnight snack.

Cowgirl Cookies (aka Cowboy, Western, or Texan Cookies)
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
2 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
½ t baking powder
2 cups oats
1 cup pecans
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup dark chocolate chunks
1 cup dried cherries

  • Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla.
  • Mix the flour, soda, salt and powder in a separate bowl. Mix in to the dough.
  • Add the oats. Stir in the nuts, coconut, chocolate, and cherries.
  • Spoon balls of dough onto a cookie sheet. I use a mini ice cream scoop.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 15 – 18 minutes, until the edges are golden and the middle is still soft.
  • Hoot and holler like a real cowgirl.

No comments: